Team 8 is AKB48’s most newly formed team. A recent thread on 2ch poses the simple question: why aren’t you interested in AKB48’s Team 8?
Team 8 started out as an official collaboration with car-maker Toyota. While AKB48’s concept is, “Idols you can meet”, Team 8’s concept takes a slightly different twist: “Idols who go to meet you”. The team has 47 members, one member from each of Japan’s 27 prefectures.
Here’s what commentators had to say about Team 8:
- That’s not AKB.
- They’re too childish. That’s the same reason I don’t like SKE 7th generation.
- No one has an aura.
- They don’t really have a story.
- There are too many of them. They’re just a bunch of kids, and it’s tiring trying to remember all of them.
- They don’t have the 48G feel.
- It’s like they’re an entirely different group. They have this image of being troublesome too.
I personally didn’t care for their debut song Koi-suru Juuden Prius (undoubtedly to appease their Toyota sponsors). I don’t know enough about group 8, but perhaps the group will grow over time.
I’m writing about useless and stupid things a lot, and I like to laugh. My policy is 一期一会。It means treasure your meeting with everyone!