An idol otaku laments that he wants to change his oshimen, but simply just cannot bring himself to do so. What follows is is an exchange from fellow wota, sharing their own experiences after changing, and what they value most in choosing their favorite member.
Hi there. Welcome to “2chan says.” I will be attempting to translate selected threads from Japanese message board 2chan (aka, 2ch or 2channel), purely for interest and entertainment purposes (and for translation practice). The opinions expressed here belong to the anonymous Japanese internet at large, and do not necessarily reflect the view of akbzine; plus, this page could be riddled with translation errors anyway. Proceed at your own risk, fine reader!
Translation notes: there’s a lot of idol-fan-specific lingo here. For those not in the know, “oshimen” (推しメン) refers to an idol fan’s favorite member (and generally the only one he/she supports, depending on how hardcore they are). Changing your oshimen is called, “oshihen” (押し変), though I chose not to use that word in the translation here. Also, note that this particular 2ch thread is from September, 2015.
1：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 07:46:20.62 ID:Ts3Qo85g.net
There are lots of other girls I am interested in, but for some reason, I cannot bring myself to change my oshimen. I can’t make myself hate my oshimen.
Right now, I am thinking about supporting other members too, but that means I cannot go all-out in the election. It’s a half-assed kind of feeling.
2：47の素敵な(石川県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 13ef-i/8X)：2015/09/22(火) 07:49:35.31 ID:fEUBNWVD0.net
Well, the most important thing is to have fun.
As for me, well, I am really only interested in my oshimen.
3：47の素敵な(やわらか銀行)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW 8dc3-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 07:50:43.77 ID:EjkBAZHh0.net
>>2: Me too!
5：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 07:52:23.13 ID:Ts3Qo85g.net
>>2: It is better this way, isn’t it?
4：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sda8-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 07:50:55.93 ID:CxJgwNRPd.net
This is not something you have to think about, it is just something you do naturally.
6：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 07:53:28.49 ID:Ts3Qo85g.net
>>4: I totally understand that. When I changed to my current oshimen, that is exactly how I felt.
8：47の素敵な(関東・東海)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｶﾞﾗﾌﾟｰ)：2015/09/22(火) 08:00:58.75 ID:VX9e1RekK.net
1. When your oshimen gets “eaten” by a member of Johnny’s
2. When her bad side unexpectedly comes out at you
18：47の素敵な(SB-iPhone)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｻｻｸｯﾃﾛ Sp8d-kmUy)：2015/09/22(火) 08:27:50.84 ID:0ts+31hKp.net
9：47の素敵な(神奈川県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW d048-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 08:01:31.24 ID:nws3uRSD0.net
>>1: You did not tell us why you want to change your oshimen.
12：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 08:06:56.90 ID:Ts3Qo85g.net
>>9: Simply put, I found a girl who I think is cuter than my current oshimen.
11：47の素敵な(pc?)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 791f-Mcmd)：2015/09/22(火) 08:06:36.66 ID:AAchk2by0.net
Honestly, I do not understand fans who are just all over the place. Because of the way that AKB is organized, I feel that everyone who is not my oshimen is pretty much an enemy.
For AKB wota who just like everyone, are you really interested when girls go up in the election rankings?
13：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 08:09:53.99 ID:Ts3Qo85g.net
>>11: I feel that all the girls are generally very good, aren’t they? Having just your oshimen be number one, and everyone else an enemy? That just feels too “bloodthirsty”.
14：47の素敵な(地震なし)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW 9b9d-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 08:11:19.53 ID:AVdDtKS20.net
>>1: Do you really have to think about changing your oshimen? Be honest with your feelings, and the answer will just come to you naturally. It’s just like being in love. You should trust yourself with the flow of your feelings.
15：47の素敵な(dion軍)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW b0e0-HPm5)：2015/09/22(火) 08:11:32.92 ID:aXPY+lA10.net
Honestly, I just change my oshimen whenever I get bored of her.
20：47の素敵な(石川県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 13ef-i/8X)：2015/09/22(火) 08:31:11.06 ID:fEUBNWVD0.net
There are times when you change your oshimen, but then go back to the former oshimen, just because it doesn’t feel right.
26：咲良餅(･∀･ ) ◆2Abfit8GUsw3 (兵庫県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 7944-nF2V)：2015/09/22(火) 09:25:54.86 ID:DeC1GetP0.net
For me, I liked everyone, but then I discovered the angel known as Sakura. But then you wotas kept on noticing her too, and she starting heading toward the top. Then I thought to myself, “I don’t need to support her anymore”. Then I discovered the angel known as Moekyun [Goto Moe]. What should I do now?
28：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 09:35:43.43 ID:ahUvZbtz.net
>>26: Oh man, I love Moekyun too.
30：47の素敵な(庭)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｱｳｱｳ Sa9d-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 09:45:54.32 ID:WUIRsvy8a.net
If you fix your indecisiveness, you should be able to change.
32：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sda8-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 09:49:20.22 ID:K2URE1Rwd.net
I also had the same reluctance once, and I forced myself to change my oshimen.
These thoughts fixated in my head: “I finally changed my oshimen”, or “I really like this girl much better.” When that happened, eventually I just naturally started to come to terms with my decision.
But you know what? There are some nights where the regret sets in, haha
35：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sdf8-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 10:42:01.45 ID:2pBLHyxAd.net
I do not know if OP wants to change oshimen at at all, and this thread pisses me off!
36：47の素敵な(禿)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/22(火) 12:12:43.85 ID:ahUvZbtz.net
To all of you who have changed your oshimen, don’t you ever feel guilty afterwards?
39：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sdf8-RezO)：2015/09/22(火) 12:38:26.21 ID:njkV3uDHd.net
>>36: You need to weight what is more important: the feeling of regret, or the feeling of wanting to support your new oshimen.
41：47の素敵な(らっかせい)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ e1cb-JdUU)：2015/09/22(火) 14:10:57.43 ID:16XyR5JH0.net
I definitely did not change my first or second oshimen until they had graduated. But after picking my third oshimen, I keep changing around alot pretty casually.
53：牛丼屋の与作さん(大阪府)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 9b7e-0uOe)：2015/09/22(火) 19:04:24.03 ID:OE5ifaFh0.net
You should testing things out through handshake event reactions. Also, it is a good idea to have several oshimen if possible.
57：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sdf8-/PkF)：2015/09/22(火) 23:22:25.88 ID:NRaNx4Bad.net
Why don’t you just have several oshimen?
59：47の素敵な(神奈川県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW a978-MM7F)：2015/09/23(水) 02:48:39.01 ID:ipnhZAXd0.net
Yeah, but even if you add several oshimen, the amount of money you have for the election and handshakes is still limited, right?
31：47の素敵な(家)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ d974-h3qm)：2015/09/22(火) 09:47:55.00 ID:PdtAO/TX0.net
So you’re dead set on being in love?
What a silly thing to worry about.
More entries in the “2chan says” series:
- 2ch says: What is common among first-time wota at concerts & performances?
- 2chan says: I love Kato Mina so much, I want to move to Niigata
- 2chan says: if there's a kiss scene with my oshimen, I'm quitting the fandom
- 2chan says: Sasshi is too strong. She should retire from the election
- 2chan says: What is the point in not participating in the election?
- 2chan says: I can't stop trembling thinking about Fuji TV's broadcast of the election...
- 2chan says: Why can't they just sell handshake tickets directly?
- 2chan says: I want to meet members randomly in the street. What should I do?
- 2chan says: When did you start losing your enthusiasm for AKB?
- 2chan says: Kenkyuusei are not allowed to use cell phones backstage
- 2chan says: I'm 25 years old. How can I become an idol?
- 2chan says: Do you tell people that you are an AKB otaku?
- 2chan says: I have about 5000 AKB photos, and I just realized it's all a waste
- 2chan says: what do members think of fans who use only 1 handshake ticket?
- 2chan says: When did the election become such a meaningless event?
- 2chan says: Anyone picked their oshimen based solely on performance skill?
- 2chan says: Is there a girl who's handshake response is the same, regardless of looks?
- 2chan says: please tell me! How can I change my oshimen?
- 2chan says: To wota who have been to all theaters, which is the best?
- 2chan says: I've been a Sasshi hater for three years. I'm tired
- 2chan says: Yokoyama General Manager's development...
- 2chan says: "When I look at Izurina, it really pisses me off..."
- 2chan says: Tani Marika's messy room appears again