Is your love of AKB48 out in the open? Or are you a “closet” otaku who keeps their fandom to themselves? One Japanese netizen wonders the same: do you tell people that you are an AKB otaku?
Hi there. Welcome to “2chan says.” I will be attempting to translate selected threads from Japanese message board 2chan (aka, 2ch or 2channel), purely for interest and entertainment purposes (and for translation practice). The opinions expressed here belong to the anonymous Japanese internet at large, and do not necessarily reflect the view of akbzine; plus, this page could be riddled with translation errors anyway. Proceed at your own risk, fine reader!
1：47の素敵な(dion軍)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW f6e0-O2gh)：2015/09/12(土) 00:06:33.80 ID:VaqHBxZO0.net
2：47の素敵な(やわらか銀行)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW fbc3-Fm8P)：2015/09/12(土) 00:08:43.05 ID:y0GbFmy30.net
I really don’t understand why you wouldn’t tell anyone.
3：47の素敵な(家)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 6274-J6dZ)：2015/09/12(土) 00:08:44.80 ID:8XIj/M7Y0.net
Yes. Whenever I get paid, people the next day are always asking, “So how was it?”
5：47の素敵な(岩手県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW 135d-O2gh)：2015/09/12(土) 00:09:39.35 ID:+V5hDDog0.net
Yes! At my office, everyone knows what I mean when I say, “Nyan nyan”. LOL
6：47の素敵な(東京都)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 6204-UCnL)：2015/09/12(土) 00:10:20.75 ID:zOaqI1gX0.net
Nope. In my everyday life, it just never seems to come up.
8：47の素敵な(地図に無い場所)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 8dc3-Hygv)：2015/09/12(土) 00:11:14.35 ID:K2XPtTRW0.net
I talk about it at school. It’s just normal.
10：47の素敵な(滋賀県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ c547-J6dZ)：2015/09/12(土) 00:12:18.73 ID:25wAecM/0.net
Yup. When I watch the election, the next day in my morning meeting, that’s the only thing I talk about.
11：47の素敵な(家)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 6274-J6dZ)：2015/09/12(土) 00:13:04.14 ID:8XIj/M7Y0.net
Haha, wait a minute! There has got to be other things you talk about.
14：47の素敵な(チベット自治区)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW d9b7-EZe8)：2015/09/12(土) 00:17:43.72 ID:uuPuxp8/0.net
I wanted to watch AKB48 TV shows during lunch in the break room, so I just told everyone, lol.
18：芋じい ◆UWQKEOWcoCkJ (芋)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｴｰｲﾓ SEbe-YoWS)：2015/09/12(土) 00:24:05.53 ID:E5KlVftHE.net
I live in a dormitory. One day, I woke up late, and was rushing to get to work. I made a mess in my room, and all my CDs and AKB goods got all over the place. I was exposed.
But, up until that point, I hid the fact that I was an AKB fan.
20：47の素敵な(pc?)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW a284-EZe8)：2015/09/12(土) 00:28:42.63 ID:o4o5vwCI0.net
No. But, I do tell people that I like Koisuru Fortune Cookie.
22：47の素敵な(東京都)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 0261-tMiZ)：2015/09/12(土) 00:44:12.04 ID:bexmnihE0.net
When I get busy at work, my boss asks me, “Do you have enough work?”
23：47の素敵な(家)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 6274-J6dZ)：2015/09/12(土) 00:48:17.59 ID:8XIj/M7Y0.net
Haha, yeah, me too. It is kind of weird: but people at my company support my fandom by giving me more hours.
28：47の素敵な(東京都)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ c528-nf1C)：2015/09/12(土) 01:08:45.79 ID:kodSLrMg0.net
I would never ever mention it to anyone at work. They would make fun of me, and then I would become a “black sheep.”
My family knows, so they understand.
32：47の素敵な(栃木県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 4107-J6dZ)：2015/09/12(土) 01:20:05.34 ID:odqDj0ZZ0.net
In the past, I did tell people. But, now I do not tell anyone. There really isn’t any “honor” in telling people now.
35：47の素敵な(庭)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｱｳｱｳ Sabe-qsFi)：2015/09/12(土) 02:06:59.66 ID:HPRXtIAna.net
If someone asks me, then I will answer.
38：47の素敵な(台湾)＠＼(^o^)／：2015/09/12(土) 02:39:12.40 ID:QWvsZ/l/.net
At work, I am constantly using the clear files that I buy from handshake events.
39：47の素敵な(栃木県)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲW 793c-EZe8)：2015/09/12(土) 02:55:52.02 ID:YS06wu9N0.net
If there were someone at my workplace who said that they liked the 48-groups, I think it would be “dangerous” for them
43：47の素敵な(庭)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｱｳｱｳ Sa05-HW6o)：2015/09/12(土) 04:54:16.45 ID:napIWOWEa.net
If I don’t tell anyone, then I’d be in a real bind if I got a lottery ticket to the theater. Especially if I did not tell the “normal” people
44：47の素敵な(東京都)＠＼(^o^)／ (ﾜｯﾁｮｲ 94e0-aRV5)：2015/09/12(土) 05:01:54.96 ID:3Rt60MQI0.net
At my office, there are girls who like Momoiro Clover and Nogizaka46, so we’re always talking about idols.
46：47の素敵な(茸)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｽﾌﾟｰ Sda8-EZe8)：2015/09/12(土) 08:02:49.10 ID:RXKmOWc8d.net
Ever since I told people, I’ve been able to sing my favorite idol songs at karaoke. I’m glad I did.
45：47の素敵な(SB-iPhone)＠＼(^o^)／ (ｻｻｸｯﾃﾛ Sp8d-O2gh)：2015/09/12(土) 07:58:18.40 ID:Jep0Ac4qp.net
I had a “coming out” at my company during the welcome party. I made friends with another wota in a different department.
Where do you stand on your Japanese idol fandom?
More entries in the “2chan says” series:
- 2ch says: What is common among first-time wota at concerts & performances?
- 2chan says: I love Kato Mina so much, I want to move to Niigata
- 2chan says: if there's a kiss scene with my oshimen, I'm quitting the fandom
- 2chan says: Sasshi is too strong. She should retire from the election
- 2chan says: What is the point in not participating in the election?
- 2chan says: I can't stop trembling thinking about Fuji TV's broadcast of the election...
- 2chan says: Why can't they just sell handshake tickets directly?
- 2chan says: I want to meet members randomly in the street. What should I do?
- 2chan says: When did you start losing your enthusiasm for AKB?
- 2chan says: Kenkyuusei are not allowed to use cell phones backstage
- 2chan says: I'm 25 years old. How can I become an idol?
- 2chan says: Do you tell people that you are an AKB otaku?
- 2chan says: I have about 5000 AKB photos, and I just realized it's all a waste
- 2chan says: what do members think of fans who use only 1 handshake ticket?
- 2chan says: When did the election become such a meaningless event?
- 2chan says: Anyone picked their oshimen based solely on performance skill?
- 2chan says: Is there a girl who's handshake response is the same, regardless of looks?
- 2chan says: please tell me! How can I change my oshimen?
- 2chan says: To wota who have been to all theaters, which is the best?
- 2chan says: I've been a Sasshi hater for three years. I'm tired
- 2chan says: Yokoyama General Manager's development...
- 2chan says: "When I look at Izurina, it really pisses me off..."
- 2chan says: Tani Marika's messy room appears again